A couple of days ago I mentioned that I had an new project in our yard — the flower beds around two trees
and our lamp post needed to be replaced. They were among our very first projects and although they worked quite well for a couple of years, they were starting to to fall apart. The picture at the right shows what the bed around the lamp post looked like this year.
Fortunately we learned a few things in the time we’ve been landscaping our yard, so we knew that we could make better beds by using retaining wall blocks. So we had to start a series of “Lowe’s Runs” to get the necessary materials.
I’m glad to report that building the new beds required more brawn than brains, and once I had the number of blocks needed for each layer, the beds went fairly easily.
Betsy and I finished the last flower bed Friday before we had all the excitement with Hurricane Ike. Betsy and I are quite happy with the
way the new beds look. You can judge for yourself — the picture below is of the new bed around the lamp post.